What To Do If You Don’t Receive Your W-2

Year End | Jan 28, 2019
Share This Page

By January 31, you should receive a W-2 from each employer you worked for in the prior year. If you have not received your W-2 by the end of February, here are the recommended steps you should take:

1. Contact your employer

Ask your current or former employer for a copy of your W-2. If the employer mailed your copy, then verify that the address they sent it to is correct.

2. Call the IRS

If you are unable to get a copy of your W-2 from your employer, then contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. They will contact your employer on your behalf. In order to call the IRS, you must provide the following pieces of information:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number, and phone number.
  • The employer’s name, address, and phone number.
  • Your employment dates.
  • Estimated wages and federal income tax withheld in the tax year. You can find this information on your final pay stub for the respective tax year.

3. File your return on time

Regardless if you have your W-2, you must still file your tax return by April 15. You can use Form 4852 as a substitute for your W-2. You will be required to estimate your wages and taxes withheld as best as possible.


4. File an amended return, if necessary.

If you receive your W-2 after filing your return and find that the tax information differs from what you reported, then you may need to file an amended tax return. Use Form 1040X to file the necessary changes.